Welcome to Open Days
Our 2017 season began on March 25, and includes great opportunities to visit amazing gardens, buy the best plants, and enjoy special programming through our Digging Deeper events, Experts in the Gardens, and to spark enthusiasm in gardeners of ALL ages, look for Family Time—programs multigenerational Open Days visitors can enjoy together.
Details on each Open Day are posted on this interactive calendar: Open Days Schedule.
Garden Conservancy member, fan, and volunteer Laura Wilson talks about some of her favorite gardens and other highlights of the 2017 Open Days season in a "Cultivating Place" public radio interview on April 6, 2017.
Through Open Days, the Garden Conservancy is working to fuel the public’s passion for gardens and gardening. Since 1995, Open Days has welcomed more than one million visitors into thousands of inspired private landscapes – from urban rooftops to organic farms, historic estates to innovative suburban lots – in forty-one states. This incredible annual program is produced almost entirely by volunteers…hundreds of individuals who help us showcase regional horticultural and stylistic expressions in a national context—celebrating the rich diversity in American gardens.
Education has always been a theme of Open Days, and in 2015 we added “Digging Deeper” and “Experts in the Garden” programs (read more about them below) to create opportunities for meaningful dialogue on a wide range of garden topics. In these programs, small groups of visitors come together with experts (amateur and professional) from every facet of the garden world including landscape architects, garden writers, plant collectors, and artists. We hosted almost forty such events in 2016 and nearly all of them sold out! In 2017, we will continue these popular programs and launch “Family Time,” programs gardeners of all ages can enjoy together.
Connect With Us
- Register here for special email updates and reminders about Open Days in your area. We will send you announcements about our 2017 season. You will also receive a Save the Date email three weeks before Open Days in your area and another one the week of the tour.
- For Frequently Asked Questions about Open Days, click here.
- Follow our popular Facebook page for beautiful photography, garden news, and last minute updates.
- Follow us on Instagram @thegardenconservancy and on Twitter @GCOpenDays and share your garden photos with hashtag #gcopendays
Open Days is 99% Volunteer Driven!
We have a small staff in New York and we work hard to create the best garden-visiting program in America, but we can't do it alone. We have hundreds of volunteers around the country who make it possible. We hope you will consider joining them.
- Become a Regional Representative—Our “Reps” work directly with us to nominate and select gardens, schedule events, promote Open Days locally, and interact with gardeners and visitors in their area.
- Share Your Garden—Open Days gardens include everything from the inspirational work of weekend hobbyists and passionate beginners to professional designers. Enjoy the energy of interacting with fellow garden lovers who will be inspired by your garden.
- Greet Visitors—Share your knowledge of the local area and spend time meeting new garden lovers. Work individually or volunteer with a friend for an enjoyable day in the garden that requires no pre-planning or garden work.
To learn more about how you can get involved with the Open Days Program, click here.
Of course, you can always call or email us to talk about gardens in your area. Here is that information: toll-free information line 1.888.842.2442. At the moment we only answer this line Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., EST. We respond to emails after hours at: firstname.lastname@example.org.