Welcome to Open Days - Tours of America's best private gardens
We’re already busy planning the 2019 season—our 25th year of Open Days! See a preview of the calendar here—full details to be posted in April.
“One of the most indulgent pleasures of garden tours is being able to absorb the beauty of other gardener’s creativity.” – PJ Bremier, The Marin Independent Journal, May 25, 2018
“We have enjoyed the many times we held Open Days and will continue membership and visiting other gardens...our favorite past time.” – Garden Hosts Peter & Susan Rostenberg, Fairfield County, CT
Additional Upcoming Events
The Garden Conservancy's second annual National Speaker Series will bring together a fantastic lineup of designers, preservationists, and other practitioners who are leading the conversation about the connection between gardens and cultural organizations. The speaker series kicks off in spring with an especially exciting headline speaker, British landscape designer Jinny Blom, author of The Thoughtful Gardener: An Intelligent Approach to Garden Design (Jacqui Small, 2017), speaking in four cities. Click here for preliminary details on our 2019 speaker series.
About Open Days and Digging Deeper
Through Open Days, the Garden Conservancy is working to fuel the public’s passion for gardens and gardening. Since 1995, Open Days has welcomed more than one million visitors into thousands of inspired private landscapes—from urban rooftops to organic farms, historic estates to innovative suburban lots—in forty-one states. This incredible annual program is produced almost entirely by volunteers…hundreds of individuals who help us showcase regional horticultural and stylistic expressions in a national context—celebrating the rich diversity in American gardens.
Education has always been a theme of Open Days since it began. In 2015 we added “Digging Deeper” programs to create opportunities for meaningful dialogue on a wide range of garden topics. In these programs, small groups of visitors come together with experts (amateur and professional) from every facet of the garden world including landscape architects, garden writers, plant collectors, and artists. In 2017, we continued these popular programs and began to include programs that gardeners of all ages can enjoy together.
Connect With Us
- Register for special email updates and reminders about Open Days in your area. We will send you announcements about our season. You will also receive a Save the Date email three weeks before Open Days in your area and another one the week of the tour.
- For Frequently Asked Questions about Open Days, click here.
- Follow our popular Facebook page for beautiful photography, garden news, and last minute updates.
- Follow us on Instagram @thegardenconservancy and on Twitter @GCOpenDays and share your garden photos with hashtag #gcopendays
Open Days is 99% Volunteer Driven!
We have a small staff in New York and we work hard to create the best garden-visiting program in America, but we can't do it alone. We have hundreds of volunteers around the country who make it possible. We hope you will consider joining them.
- Become a Regional Representative—Our “Reps” work directly with us to nominate and select gardens, schedule events, promote Open Days locally, and interact with gardeners and visitors in their area.
- Share Your Garden—Open Days gardens include everything from the inspirational work of weekend hobbyists and passionate beginners to professional designers. Enjoy the energy of interacting with fellow garden lovers who will be inspired by your garden.
- Greet Visitors—Share your knowledge of the local area and spend time meeting new garden lovers. Work individually or volunteer with a friend for an enjoyable day in the garden that requires no pre-planning or garden work.
To learn more about how you can get involved with Garden Conservancy Open Days, click here.
Of course, you can always call or email us to talk about gardens in your area. Here is that information: toll-free information line 1.888.842.2442. At the moment we only answer this line Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., EST. We respond to emails after hours at: firstname.lastname@example.org.