This handsome three-storied masonry house is one of Charleston's most important Greek Revival dwellings. The architect was E.B. White and the house was built circa 1843 by William Gatewood who moved to Charleston from Norfolk, Virginia, and opened an office underwriting railway projects and steam lines. The house originally had two drives, the one to the south serves the garden at the front of the house. The other, which is shared with 23 Legare, leads to the carriage house. Before 1958 the main house was divided into six apartments but has been carefully and lovingly restored by the current owners to its original configuration.
Upon entering the small front gate, wisteria climbs a weathered brick wall above boxwood hedges. The doorway is balanced with two urns containing boxwood cones and seasonal plantings. A small oyster shell walkway makes its way past a sasanqua hedge with 'Reve D'Or' roses intertwined on the iron fence. Boxwoods in planters and espaliered sasanquas on the house wall provide balance. Four Meyer lemons in large terra cotta pots and confederate jasmine covered arches provide a dramatic entranceway to the second garden room.
At each corner of the boxwood edged pool are terra cotta pots overflowing with Noisette roses. This terrace garden room is surrounded by roses arching over doorways to the main house and kitchen house first-floor piazzas. Azalea beds and assorted planters containing seasonal annuals and hydrangeas provide color to this elegant setting. An oyster shell patio with Mediterranean plantings serves as the last garden room. Large olive trees in Versailles planters are strategically placed in the seating and dining areas. The architect for this beautiful garden was Deborah Nevins of New York.
Open Days 2022: Saturday, June 4
Hours: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Admission: Please register for this "Behind the Garden Gate" Open Day here.
- New garden or feature