This is a new garden planted in 2006 to complement the historic house built around 1730 and fully renovated by the owners: an architect and a garden writer. The garden was designed by Nan Blake Sinton and is composed mainly of hardy shrubs and ornamental trees. Pale pink ‘New Dawn’ roses climb on the fence surrounding the garden and the roof of the garden shed is covered in ‘White Eden’ and ‘Abraham Darby’ roses as well as a Clematis montana 'Rubens'.
There are two crabapples (Malus 'Donald Wyman') and a large Viburnum sieboldii in the main garden. An espalier created from Viburnum plicatum 'Mariesii' on the wall of the house and a hedge of clipped Philadelphus coronarius in the parking area provide a bit of formality. There are small flower beds with astilbes, lavender, Nepeta, Salvia, and other perennials. A small brick patio is planted with lace cap hydrangeas and Hydrangea macrophylla ‘Enziadom’. At the front of the house, there are American hollies, English boxwood, Ilex glabra ‘Nigra’, and a large viburnum. One of the outstanding features of the garden is a large, old sycamore maple on the lane at the corner of the property, a survivor from earlier days.
Open Days 2021: Saturday, July 10
Hours: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Please check back soon to register.
- This garden allows photography