Abeel House Prairie

Abeel House Prairie

Photo: Peter Bevacqua

Catskill, NY
Meadow, Substantial native plants, Scenic view

The Abeel House Prairie is four acres of wildflowers and native grasses. It blankets a small holler in a secluded valley next to an eighteenth-century Dutch stone house once owned by David Abeel, an early settler in the Hudson Valley. The owners planted the prairie ten years ago, a decision they regretted almost immediately. Apparently they thought the prairie would be a low-maintenance solution to a brush-covered hillside that was too steep to mow. In hindsight, they say it would've been easier to cut the brush weekly with a pair of hand shears. They learned that establishing and maintaining a wildflower prairie is a nonstop battle against invasives. Today, however, the results are magnificent. The prairie is full of more than two dozen varieties of flowers and grasses. Bordered by a small brook and bisected by a short hiking trail, it is an easy walk. While strolling through the prairie you may hear a noticeable buzz-a collective celebration of bees that visit here for one of the finest dining experiences of their lives.

Open Days 2022: Sunday, August 14
Hours: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

REGISTRATION
Registration for this garden opens Wednesday, June 1.

Members $5 per person; General admission $10. Children 12 and under free. 

  • This garden allows photography
  • Nature friendly f372a65207813459a0d18d2caa5c1eece145dbb205535bacd45d09e443889605Nature-friendly

Abeel House Prairie
Catskill, Greene, NY, 12414

Nearby Gardens

See All Gardens ›
Riverhill—Joe & Tamara DiMattio

Saugerties, NY

Riverhill—Joe & Tamara DiMattio
Riverhill is a five-acre hillside sloping down to a rocky beach on the Hudson River. Views of the Huds...

Malin+Goetz Garden

Hudson, NY

Malin+Goetz Garden
Close to Olana, the property is surrounded by countryside protected through conservation easements. To...

Versailles on Hudson

Hudson, NY

Versailles on Hudson
We wanted to create a garden that looked as if it had been planted when the house was built, in 1901…